Codeine linctus has a central antitussive effect, moderate analgesic and sedative effect, antidiarrheal. Buy Codeine Lincture from calebpharma store.
Therapeutic indications of Codeine Phosphate Syrup
- Symptomatic of unproductive cough
- Moderate acute pain in patients
Contraindications of Codeine Linctus
- Hypersensitivity to codeine or derivatives;
- Acute asthma attacks,
- Respiratory depression;
- Patients with paralytic ileus or at risk;
- Diarrhea associated with pseudomembranous colitis
- Diarrhea caused by intoxication
- Ultra-fast metabolizers.
Warnings and precautions
Elderly, weakened; impaired liver, kidney, or heart function; prostatic hypertrophy, urethral stricture, adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease), obstructive or inflammatory bowel disorders, hypothyroidism, multiple sclerosis, chronic ulcerative colitis, gallbladder diseases and inf. that present with decreased respiratory capacity; seizure disorders; in it too. Prolonged risk of physical dependence and tolerance gradually discontinue. It can mask the clinical course of treatment. Moreover, Cranioencephalic and hinder the diagnosis or clinical evolution of acute abdominal processes. It is not recommended in children in whom there may be a compromise of breathing such as neuromuscular disorders, severe respiratory or cardiac pathology, lung or upper airway infections,
- Decreased analgesic effect with morphine agonists-antagonists (nalbuphine, naltrexone, buprenorphine, pentazocine)
- Increased excitability with MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants
- Potentiation of central depression: antidepressants, sedatives, sedative H1 antihistamines, anxiolytics, neuroleptic hypnotics, clonidine and related, thalidomide, narcotic analgesics, antipsychotics, neuromuscular blocking agents, hydroxyzine, alcohol.
- Increased risk of respiratory depression with: other morphine analgesics, barbiturates, benzodiazepines
- Paralytic ileus and urinary retention with anticholinergics
- Constipation and intestinal obstruction with antiperistaltic
- Increases action of analgesics
- The action increased by: cimetidine, quinidine, fluoxetine.
Codeine in Pregnancy
The use of codeine is not recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy. The use of codeine is only accepted in the absence of safer therapeutic alternatives.
Codeine can prolong labor. On the other hand, use close to delivery and at high doses can cause neonatal respiratory depression. Use during delivery is not recommended if a premature baby is expected. Close observation of the newborn is recommended (if respiratory depression is severe, naloxone may be needed) whose mother received opioids during delivery.
Some studies in animals reveal a possible induction of congenital malformations and delayed ossification with codeine. Therefore, it should not be administered during pregnancy unless the benefits outweigh the potential risks.
Codeine in Lactation
Codeine is contraindicated in women during lactation. At the usual therapeutic doses, codeine and its active metabolite may be present in breast milk in shallow doses, and it is unlikely that they will affect the nursing baby. However, if the patient is an ultra-rapid metabolizer of CYP2D6, higher levels of the active metabolite, morphine, can be found in breast milk. Besides, on infrequent occasions, this can result in symptoms of opioid toxicity in the infant, which may be mortal.